Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Ky. Town Angry Over Unflattering A&E Show

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Ky. Town Angry Over Unflattering A&E Show

    PIKEVILLE, Ky. (AP) - Residents of this eastern Kentucky town are demanding an apology from the A&E network after an episode of "City Confidential" that they say was unflattering and unfair.

    "Obviously, being labeled the town from hell can not be interpreted in any way as positive," City Manager Donovan Blackburn wrote in a letter to the network.

    Blackburn said local residents cooperated in the production of the documentary show, which revolved around murders committed by a group of occultists, after a producer told them the town would be portrayed positively.

    A&E acknowledged Wednesday that it received Blackburn's letter.

    "It was not the intention of A&E Network to malign the town of Pikeville, but rather to examine it through the eyes of people who live in that community and who were affected by the particular case we were profiling," the network said in a statement last month. "We are deeply sorry that the mayor's office of the city of Pikeville was offended by the portrayal."

    "City Confidential" is billed as a show that "goes inside a unique American city and explores its colorful characters, its peculiar history, and the truth behind its hidden mystery."

    Blackburn said he watched the show when it aired on March 26 and was shocked that Pikeville was portrayed as a hillbilly haven, a stereotype people throughout the region have fought vigorously to overcome.

    "You start the piece by showing a rebel flag on Julius Avenue, an overweight man without a shirt smoking a cigarette and an old pickup with a few women in the back," Blackburn said. "As I am sure you would agree, you can go to almost any city in America and find the same."

    A description of the show on A&E's Web site describes the Appalachian town of 6,300 as "a place where most kids will do anything to escape. Like in April of 1997, when one Pikeville girl and her five fellow teenagers took a road trip to hell."

    The show delved into the 1997 kidnappings and murders of a Tennessee couple and their 6-year-old daughter by six eastern Kentuckians now serving life sentences in prison. The couple's 2-year-old son also was kidnapped and shot, but he survived.

    Mayor Frank Justice II and city commissioners have passed a resolution demanding a public apology.

    "We have instructed the producers of the episode to re-examine the program and, in the event that there are any factual errors, to make corrections prior to future airings," the network said in its statement.

    Justice said he fears the show has put Pikeville in such an unfavorable light that industrial recruiters will find it more difficult to convince companies to move into the town.

    "We're a progressive town," he said.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  2. #2
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Ky. Town Angry Over Unflattering A&E Show

    I love the city of Pikeville.....great places to eat...super nice baseball park...and a Super Wal Mart!

    Although I do see the point of Redneck haven because there is a trailer park between the two shopping plazas.


  3. #3
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ky. Town Angry Over Unflattering A&E Show

    I dont see whats wrong with being a Hillbilly we all are. I mean people from New York are rude Yankees we all are what we are. I am a white hillbilly from Southwest Virgina who talks funny is that so bad?
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Seventy4's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2005
    Posts
    268
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ky. Town Angry Over Unflattering A&E Show

    The funniest line of the whole thing:

    "You start the piece by showing a rebel flag on Julius Avenue, an overweight man without a shirt smoking a cigarette and an old pickup with a few women in the back," Blackburn said. "As I am sure you would agree, you can go to almost any city in America and find the same."

    I can't get over him saying the last line.

    Okay did anyone see this bit on A&E? I can honestly say that I didn't, but I would have LOVED to have seen it.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ky. Town Angry Over Unflattering A&E Show

    Brings back a few memories of when The National Geographic did a piece on our area.
    They really went out of their way to find the most backwoods, poorest, most hillbilly-est people & places possible.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member imported_MoonlightGraham's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2004
    Posts
    2,142
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ky. Town Angry Over Unflattering A&E Show

    why do they do this. because this is what america wants to see. they dont wanna see the pikeville that has some of the best restaurants i have ever eaten at, (2 mexicans, 2 chinesse buffets, applebees, etc.), one of the best highschool baseball fields in the region, a medical school, one of the best medical facilities in the region, or 2 colleges. if they showed that kinda stuff, nobody from bigger cities would watch it, "them city folk" wanna see us down here strugglin so they can feel better bout themselves and how good they think they got it.
    [img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i42/stinmeister/untitled-2.jpg[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member retiredteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    853
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ky. Town Angry Over Unflattering A&E Show

    I graduated from Pikeville College in 1969 and the town and the College were good to me as well as being good for me. A growing up experience where I had to learn to manage what little money I had and to do my own laundry and the like. When I attended what was then CVC, I believe the Saturday Evening Post did a story on Norton and Wise County. The pictures that were posted were from the coal tipple just outside of town and the poorest section of the city. It is no wonder that folks who don't know any better have this misconception of the area.
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

  8. #8
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Ky. Town Angry Over Unflattering A&E Show

    I remember that National Geographic piece as well and to be honist it has made me rethink all the NG articals if they could distort our area as much as they did I am sure that they have done the same elsewhere....I think that NG and A&E had there story ready to go before they even set foot in Wise Co. or Pikville

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •